4/15/2021

Android Adopted Storage Kills My SD Card

I am not saying that all Android versions or build will do this. Mine certainly does, and it is not a problem with the SD card.

Here is what happened: About a year ago I had formatted my SD card as adopted storage, which is really convenient as it just extends the internal storage and you do not have to think about what goes where.

All worked fine (LineageOS) until I received yet another OS update. I am not sure whether I upgraded from 17 to 18 or whether it was just an update within version 18). Soon after installing this update, my SD card started failing and degrading. Within two days my phone stated that the SD card was corrupted.

The card would not format in the phone, also Debian and Windows failed to format it. The card was destroyed. Hardware failure, I thought.

I installed a new SD card, formatting it again as adopted storage. After I had recovered all my apps (thanks so much, Titanium Backup!) it took only a day before the new card failed in the same way. Another piece of garbage.

Of course, now a hardware failure was more than unlikely.

With the next SD card I went back to the good old ways of using it as external storage. I cannot move the apps the the SD card any more, but moving DCIM and backup folders for Titanium Backup and NAND to the SD card freed up enough storage for me to feel quite comfortable.

The new card is still alive. I will never go back to adopted storage, even though I certainly like the idea.

The whole process of restoring apps (twice) took me two days, despite having backups. The good thing is that I now have a completely new installation and further improved my backup strategy. You can always learn something :-)

P.S.: Thanks to LineageOS (unofficial build) I am still more than happy with my 2013 (!) Samsung Galaxy Note 3. I would not want to trade it for a newer phone.

No comments:

adaxas Web Directory