4/13/2021

Android Accessibility - Not Quite so Accessible

I knew from my last phone running an older version of Android that you can enable a magnifying mode that is activated by a triple-tap on the screen.

Having reduced eyesight, I am quite fond of this feature and wanted to enable it on my new phone running Android 11.

I found the Accessibility settings without a problem. The next screen was different from what I was used to, but I did find Magnification entry.

And then I was lost:

There is a feature "Magnification shortcut" that I could enable. Then a message would explain how I can use the accessibility button to start magnification when I needed it. Only, I do not have such a button.

My phone has hardware buttons, duh!

The screen just says "Magnification shortcut, Accessibility button".

Nothing indicates, that you can change this shortcut. Well, you can. The label is clickable, then you can choose.

There was still one more obstacle: to get to the triple-tap option, you need to scroll down past the two visible options and click "advanced". Only then you can see the third option, triple-tap. Why hide one of only three options under "advanced"?

It took me half a day of trial-and-error to figure out the process, straining my eyes further. If I had not know that the option existed (and I sometimes was close to thinking they removed it), I would never have found this feature.

If you need a manual to operate your Android phone, Google did not meet its own guidelines. And if you need one, but there is no manual, because Google aims at ease-of-use, you are down a certain creek without a paddle.

Now I am finally happy. With the functionality. Not so much with how "accessible" this option is.

Accessibility my ***.

No comments:

adaxas Web Directory