8/07/2022

Thunderbird / Office365: non-delivery messages

Since yesterday, I get the following message when sending emails from Thunderbird via my (free) outlook.live.com account:

Remote Server returned '550 5.6.11 SMTPSEND.BareLinefeedsAreIllegal; message contains bare linefeeds, which cannot be sent via DATA and receiving system does not support BDAT'

Using another email client works fine. Using another account (a non-MS one, that is) from Thunderbird also works fine.

My guess is that Microsoft changed the security of (some of?) their smtp servers, so they now reject messages they had accepted before. The protocol "violation" seems to be with Thunderbird, so tightening the screws on the server side broke sending emails.

Using an alternative MS smtp server does not change anything.

Sometime, however, seemingly random, messages get through. So I reckon, not all MS servers have received this "upgrade".

Please fix. Please?

Update

Turns out, one MS account was working while another was not. So I deleted the malfunctioning one and created it again. Now it works.

I compared the old and new account setting by setting - they are identical.

Beats me. I guess this is just another case of "have you tried tuning it off and on again?". I should try that approach more often instead of trying to analyse, which got me to the wrong conclusion - see above.


No comments:

adaxas Web Directory